Friend or Foe Demo

phyrephish
King Tiger Commander
King Tiger Commander

Friend or Foe Demo

Post by phyrephish » Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:07 pm

One of the unique features of MAKO is the ability to give each unit it's own Battle Unit Identification Number (BUtIN). This can be easily programmed into MAKO IR system at startup, during the "program period". Remember the MAKO IR system is compatible with the Tamiya protocol. The BUtIN is then stored in eeprom and can be changed at anytime. To enter a BUtIN press [MENU] on your Sony TV/Universal remote at startup. The indicator LEDs will blink. Now enter your 3 digit number. After each number pressed the LEDs will blink to let you know your number has been recognised.

MAKOs that have battle ID numbers where the first digit is the same are recognised as "Friends" and are not damaged by friendly IR at close range. This provides better team play for IR battles.
THE MAKO IR SYSTEM CAN BE ADDED TO ALL MAKES OF TANK CONTROL UNITS
THE MAKO IR SYSTEM IS COMPATIBLE WITH THE TAMIYA PROTOCOL
THE MAKO IR SYSTEM ENHANCES THE TAMIYA PROTOCOL WHICH IS DECADES OLD
NOTE 1: The video above shows Asp units in action. Asps have more functionality that your Heng Long or other tank controllers. These other controllers will not will not respond with audio to friendly fire hits.

NOTE 2: IMPORTANT - The IR signal for the BUtIN is purposely attenuated and will only operate at close range. This has been done for 2 primary reasons.
1. Realism - friendly fire is far less likely at close range where tank crews can actually see each other
and
2. It stops unfair play, where by a team member may retreat to the edge of the battlefield and start firing indiscriminately. Anyone doing this will also hit their own team.

NOTE 3: The default BUtIN for all MAKOs shipped is 000. If 0 is the first number the is NO activation of friend or foe. So "0" should be used as the first digit for any "free for all" battles. It is still possible to identify up to 100 tanks in free for all battles buy using the numbers, 000, 001, 002, 003,...098, 099.

Below is a guide as to how unit ids are assigned at RCTA Battle Days

RCTA BATTLEDAY UNIT ID ASSIGNMENT

Each participant at a battleday receives at least 2 id numbers an individual id for free for all battles along with an id for each of their tanks participating in team play. For example my individual unit ID is "067". This is the ID that I enter into any tank I want to use in free for all battles.

For each tank I want to use in team battles the following guidelines are used to determine the ID for each tank:

First Digit
0 - Free for all
1 - USA/Allied
2 - UK
3 - Germany/Axis
4 - USSR
5 - China
6 - Other
7 - NATO
8 - Red Team
9 - Green Team

Second Digit
0 - Super light
1 - Light
2 - Medium
3 - Heavy
4 - Super Heavy
5 - Light Bergepanzer
6 - Medium Bergepanzer
7 - Heavy Bergepanzer
8 - Flakpanzer
9 - Artillery

Third Digit
Digressional on the day.
0 - 5 Units with revolving turrets
6 - 9 SPGs, Stugs,...

For example: If the Stug F in the above video was at a battleday a possible unit ID for Allied vs Axis team battles would be 326.
3 - AXIS team
2 - Medium class
6 - Stug
The next member of the team with a Stug would have the number 327. If the Stug was participating in a free for all battle it would get my individual id of "067".

Why all the fuss about Unit IDs?
Apart from the usage of IDs to provide a friend or foe function each time the MAKO IR system receives an IR hit the ID of the tank that made the hit is recorded. In a competition scenario it is then possible to determine which tanker in the team has been responsible for inflicting the most damage on the opposition. The last man standing need not be the best man :)
ImageImageImageImage

Rad_Schuhart
Kübelwagen Driver
Kübelwagen Driver

Re: Friend or Foe Demo

Post by Rad_Schuhart » Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:13 am

Very interesting post of another RCTA feature that nobody believed me when I told them.

Next time I will just copy and paste the link. Thanks for sharing!