King Tiger of 3rd Company, 505th schwere Heeres Panzer Abt.

phyrephish
King Tiger Commander
King Tiger Commander

King Tiger of 3rd Company, 505th schwere Heeres Panzer Abt.

Post by phyrephish » Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:49 am

Hey All

Just some pics of a current project. I've been asked / "commissioned" to fit out a KT with Asp and as many bells and whistles as possible. The base unit was an IMEX KT. Quite a nice unit but of course factory electrics.... Anyhow the only other thing was that although the hull was coated in zimmerit the nice metal turret was not. I could not find any examples of such a beast existing so zimming the turret was job no.1. Also what tank to do was an important decision and a 505 KT was the choice.

So decision made - zimming the turret.

The electrics I may go into detail with later but I guess the most work involved re-doing the 360° turret wiring. If you are putting a proper controller into your tank then no matter what you will have to redo the wiring as the Taigen control units continue with the gun/recoil and elevation motors sharing the same V+. This job was made simpler with the 360° turret adapters for Asp. The current design was able to be easily modded to accept the Asiatam style motor recoil/elevation unit. The complicated factory wiring is all removed and the much much simpler Asp wiring done.

This project has shown me the need to produce a variant of the 360° board to make conversion of IMEX tanks to Asp control even easier.

Now since this is a 505 a knight insignia is needed. Commercially the best available seems to be the one from Tamiya but even that is not right looking at the photo below.

Some commercially available decals are just plain wrong.

So I've designed my own knight decal.

With the zimm set it was down to painting using the usual same as everyone Tamiya Dark Yellow & Red Brown. Followed by detail wash, dry brushing and some mig pigments.

I realise the purist out there will note the errors with the front of the turret. This is how the unit comes from IMEX and being a "commision" job we are working to within time and $$ constraints. So time consuming things like fixing the front of the turret or clasps for the tools have given way to other priorities.

This upcoming week I hope to design a custom smoke unit for her and get some decal applied.

Cheers
KG

ImageImageImageImage

phyrephish
King Tiger Commander
King Tiger Commander

Re: King Tiger of 3rd Company, 505th schwere Heeres Panzer Abt.

Post by phyrephish » Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:52 am

Finally done and shipping off Monday - Onto the next one.....

KG
ImageImageImageImage