How to make a low cost flexible aerial

Description of your first forum.
phyrephish
King Tiger Commander
King Tiger Commander

How to make a low cost flexible aerial

Post by phyrephish » Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:27 pm

Hi All

Here is a little tip/trick that some may find useful especially if you have a WWII German tank. With the popularity of 360° turret mods, static aerials become a bit of a pain. Aftermarket flexible aerials are available - I tried to buy one. However, once factoring in the cost of shipping and the number of tanks I own the $$ amount was considerable. There had to be a cheap and easy way to make an aerial bend. This is the solution I came up with.

Parts Required:
All the parts should be cheap and available....

Get hold of:
Hobby Knife & some sandpaper
1.5 mm drill bit
3/64" styrene rod
1.5mm brass spring
Aerial mount

The problem item may be the brass spring. I got the packet shown many years ago from TigerModel. Surely someone knows where to get such spring. If you do please please post here.

Make the Aerial:

For your WWII German panzer you are going to want a 2m aerial - so do the math:
2000mm / 16 = 125mm
So cut a piece of styrene rod 125mm long. Now the aerial is tapered so using your knife and sandpaper taper your rod. It is not that hard and easy to arrive at a decent result.

The Mount:

Drill a 1.5mm hole through the middle of your mount and carefully cut a 8-10mm length of brass spring.

Assembly:

Insert your styrene rod half way into the spring

Insert rod and spring into the mount

JOB DONE

If you wanted it would not be hard to further detail the assembly with a clamp but I have not bothered.

Once installed your worries of your cannon hitting the aerial or even clumsy persons breaking off your aerial are no more....

Enjoy
KG
ImageImageImageImage

turrethead51
Kettenrad Driver
Kettenrad Driver

Re: How to make a low cost flexible aerial

Post by turrethead51 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:50 am

if you have any old car radio cd or cassette player in shed dismantle you will find lots of small return springs