Sirvoe - another mode (rear lights)

Peregrine
Kübelwagen Driver
Kübelwagen Driver

Sirvoe - another mode (rear lights)

Post by Peregrine » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:17 pm

Hi Kevin,
Just writing to see how viable this would be. It kind of relates to my email asking for KV1 sounds so I can install my remaining ASP2 in KV1 instead of my bulldog (which is in pieces anyway). But the main reason it's still in pieces is because I need to make sure my wiring for rear lights is all good before I can start painting and assembling everything. I got an aluminum hull cage I made, which makes it harder to get to the rear lights if I need to rewire resistors or change LEDs. KV1 only has 1 barely visible light, so not a big deal how it works, but on bulldog I'd like the rear lights to function like rear lights should while driving and braking.

Currently ASP2 rear light functionality, I believe to the best of my memory, is ON only when in reverse.
I know we talked about this over a year ago, where you told me I can try some programming. But not having any experience programming in picaxe, this seems like a project and a half for me, while I'm sure you could whip this out in half hour.

Would you be able to create another sirvoe mode for rear lights with these conditions?:
Using 1 output wire from sirvoe, (-) 3V (I believe that's the typical HL LED output for headlights, rear lights and machine gun LEDs):
1) 3V (-) output when headlights are ON - PWM set to create medium intensity light.
2) 3V (-) output when emergency brake (25% on CH7) is engaged - PWM set to create max intensity light.
3) Condition 2 supersedes condition 1 - when condition 2 is activated, it should be implemented regardless of the output in condition 1. And if condition 1 is activated, it should not take effect if condition 2 is active.

I know I'm asking for much, but knowing your experience and expertise, I KNOW you can implement this easily :)
This would help me so much, and I'm sure a lot of people with ASP would also love to see this sirvoe option.

phyrephish
King Tiger Commander
King Tiger Commander

Re: Sirvoe - another mode (rear lights)

Post by phyrephish » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:39 pm

Hi There

Unfortunately, there comes an end to all things and going back to redo old codings for sirvoe or Asp is one of those things. Sirvoe code is open source of sorts - so anyone can get into it if they wish.

However, a simple resistor of say 1K (or maybe less) will be able to achieve at least some dual light intensity for your rear light. You can have your rear light on at a low intensity in conjunction with the headlights and then at full intensity when in reverse (sorry braking is not possible). This is at least half way to your full wish.

To do this all you have to do is connect the negative of your rear LEDs to the negative of the headlights so that when head lights are on so too are the rear lights. Now add a 1 k resistor inline on the rear LEDs negative wire. You may have to play with resistor value to get the lower intensity you wish.

What is happening here is the current is now flowing through your rear LEDs when headlights are on but there is much less since you have place the 1k resistor inline and hence the LED will be "duller".

Now connect another wire from the rear leds negative back to where it normally goes (rear light connector)

So now when you go into reverse a second pathway for the current with far less resistance through the rear leds is opened up and the rear leds will be at "full" intensity.

Very easy very simple way to get dual intensity for your rear lights - but as I said no braking as such code does not exist on Asp.

Asp 2.5 will have LED braking function - however I have not planned any for the "emergency brake" as it is not meant to be just that - A non-realistic emergency function - BUT your suggestion does make sense and it would be a good visual help so I will add it.

Cheers
KG
ImageImageImageImage

Peregrine
Kübelwagen Driver
Kübelwagen Driver

Re: Sirvoe - another mode (rear lights)

Post by Peregrine » Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:09 am

Thanks Kevin.
Yeah, I know the concept of using the resistor to dim the LEDs. But following your instructions, wouldn't ground from the rear light port on asp feed back to headlights via the resistor? It would make them dimmer, sure. So that solution would work well assuming you will never turn the headlights off and drive in reverse at the same time.

I can't remember but I thought you had a way to integrate sirvoe inputs with some outputs from asp, no? Isn't there a way to pass something to sirvoe when you trigger 25% on CH7 (emergency brake)?