Replace 9XRPRO gimbals with joysticks?

Description of your first forum.
rcdozerbuilder
Kettenrad Driver
Kettenrad Driver

Replace 9XRPRO gimbals with joysticks?

Post by rcdozerbuilder » Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:03 am

Hi all. I hope this is the right place in the RCTA Forum to put this, if not Mods please move it, thank you.

I would like to ask the opinion and request some advice here whether or not my project is feasible. Tanks are very much like bulldozers when it comes to this tech so Tankers may benefit from this project. Like Tankers, I make big accurate scale operating models and end up operating them with a kids-toy like RC unit made for planes. So I want to build my own controller box as follows.

I have two Turnigy 9XR PRO transmitters I bought here at RCTA which I got fitted with spring loaded self-centering gimbals and tanker9XPRO firmware as part of the sales process. Both have been good reliable workhorses without any problems. They are used to control a number of different 1/16th scale radio controlled bulldozers models have made which vary in weight from 22KG to lbs to 37KG using 12V car seat motors and Dimension Engineering 2x32 motor controllers and home-made DIY linear actuators I made myself run by DE 2x5 motor controllers all operated through the XR9PRO using differential steering and Mode 1. So its Left /Right on channel 1, FWD/REV on channel 2, with the blade and rear ripper UP and DOWN on channel 4 and tilting PITCH control for the blade or ripper on Channel 3 using a GEAR and AUX + a channel 5 and 6 mix to change between the blade and rear ripper.

Just for ref to see what I’m finally getting to with my eventual questions, here is a link so you can see how they work, very similar to a tank hence why I got the9XR PRO with tanker9XPRO firmware from RCTA.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGzwwU ... Hu6VIUAeJA

So I want to build a DIY remote control housing box like the one I’ve pictured below, installing all the guts from the 9XR PRO radio with the screen and switches mounted approximately as shown. There will be plenty of room to remount everything so that’s not an issue.
Now, notice the two joysticks instead of the usual two gimbal sticks. I am wanting to fit something more like the Arcade type joysticks as shown.

proposed design.jpg
proposed design.jpg (73.92 KiB) Viewed 7596 times

I was wanting to use the joysticks like these though not necessarily these, just some like them that would be compatible.

https://au.element14.com/w/c/switches-r ... -joy-swi_0

or another example

https://core-electronics.com.au/search/?q=joy+stick

So here’s my enquiry:
Q-1:Can I remove the OEM Turnigy gimbals and replace them with larger 2-axis joy sticks, preferably the Arcade type and wire them straight into the wires that were attached to the OEM gimbals without messing up anything in the radio, that is to say, I still want to be able to install the joysticks without altering any of the radio software or firmware, just replace the gimbals with joy sticks.

Q-2: Can anyone recommend suitable joysticks that can be wired straight in to the OEM wires and will work.
So to summarise, I want to make a control box with joysticks with all the components of the 9XR PRO inside to resemble the picture above. Admittely I'm not very electronically savvy, being more a practical person who can make things on a lathe instead for instance. So I wouldn't have a clue what type of joysticks would be suitable.

If it turns out this can be done, if the Tankers and Mods thought it was of interest, I could run a Control Box progress build thread here. Any radio could be used BTW, just so happens I got the two 9XR Pros at RCTA. If Tankers have any questions about my dozer builds like for example how I did the tracks or linear actuators I'm happy to share with pics.

Thank you in advance
rcdozerbuilder

phyrephish
King Tiger Commander
King Tiger Commander

Re: Replace 9XRPRO gimbals with joysticks?

Post by phyrephish » Sun Jul 07, 2019 12:11 am

HI There

There should be no problems doing what you want to do AS LONG AS the replacement joysticks operate the same way as the radio gimbals. Your first example joystick from element14 would not work as it is a switch operating unit. There are 4 independent switches which means there is only ON/OFF in each direction you would have no speed control whatsoever.

You need to find a replacement joystick that uses 2 independent potentiometers. I think the post in the 9X are 5k pots so - all your replacement joysticks would need to be equipped with 5k pots.

This example is more of what you need
https://core-electronics.com.au/2-axis-joystick.html
BUT it uses 10k pots - the 9X "MAY" use 10k pots I'm not 100% sure but from memory I think I came up with 5k using my (dodgy) multimeter.

There are plenty of 9X schematics on the web and certainly someone will know for sure on the 9X forum (hell there will certainly be someone who has already done what you want to do)

SO first step would be to find a joystick with pots not switches

Cheers
Kevin G
ImageImageImageImage

rcdozerbuilder
Kettenrad Driver
Kettenrad Driver

Re: Replace 9XRPRO gimbals with joysticks?

Post by rcdozerbuilder » Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:46 am

Thank you for your reply phyrepysh. I understand the points you have alerted me to. Speed control of a dozer like a tank is an imperitive for control and turns otherwise its just gonna jerk forward back left and right like a thunderbirds. Much investigation to follow. Shall report back here if I go ahead with this mad project.
Cheers