Sprektrum DX8G2

Description of your first forum.
Tigerman505
Kübelwagen Driver
Kübelwagen Driver

Sprektrum DX8G2

Post by Tigerman505 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:22 am

Not sure where I should have posted this one so I'll put it here in General Discussion.

Since I'm an old time modeller most of my radio gear is based around the 36meg frequency ones, my last one being a JR propo4 which worked fine with the Tamiya KT.

Not being too sure what to go with I bought a Spektrum DX8G2 on 2.4g as I wasn't able to find a tank specific radio.

Can anyone tell me if there is a downloadable software add-in I can get for the DX8 to run tanks?

I already know I'm going to have to swap out one of the switches for a momentary firing one.
If I can't I'll keep this one for something else and get something recommended.

Cheers
Paul

phyrephish
King Tiger Commander
King Tiger Commander

Re: Sprektrum DX8G2

Post by phyrephish » Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:09 am

Hey Paul

There are no off the shelf "Tank Specific" radio per se. Unfortunately the Spektrum radios while being fantastic for planes are not so good for terrestrial vehicles. Spektrum do not have customisable firmware.

The Turnigy 9X series and FrSky Taranis and QX7 radios are in my opinion the way to go as the offer customisable firmware, loads of switches and most importantly it is easy to make both gimbals self centering. For all of these radios a version of er9x or ersky9x can be downloaded from er9x.com and installed. There are also many forum posts both on the dedicated er9x forums and on the old RCTA forum of how to add extra switches to and setup these radios.

Cheers
KG
ImageImageImageImage

Tigerman505
Kübelwagen Driver
Kübelwagen Driver

Re: Sprektrum DX8G2

Post by Tigerman505 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:52 am

Hi KG,

Thanks for that, I'll keep my spektrum for a glider project later on in that case.

I was looking at the FlySky FS-TH9X, but I think now I'll go with the Turnigy 9X as all the prices I've seen on the Taranis are nearly 3 times as much, which is hard to justify to me.

The only thing I've noticed with the Turnigy is none of them come with the module, so I'll have to pick up one to suit.

Thanks for your help.
Cheers
Paul